Written as part of the Cities and Memory ‘Politics and Protest’ project.
Launches August 7th 2017: citiesandmemory.com
A simple little piece based on a field recording from a political protest march in Paris 2015.
I absolutely loved the original recording by Ben Gale and wanted to highlight it’s qualities as much as possible in my remix – one of the reasons why you will hear it at the beginning and end of my piece with no editing whatsoever!
This composition was inspired by my own experiences on various protest marches over the years and my ability to almost completely shutdown external stimuli; to be ALONE IN THE CROWD. It’s a defence mechanism really, but at times almost spiritual – an ‘out of crowd’ experience! I don’t enjoy large gatherings that much at all and I think my brain simply needs time-out from the revelry!
• My piece starts with Ben’s field recording in its raw state.
• Slowly the sounds of protest morph, warp and fade into the background.
• They continue to ebb and flow, almost like a living breathing creature, but always slightly distant / faded.
• A simply, dissonant piano motif represents me in the middle of the throng. A choir theme adds that little edge of spirituality!
• The piano and choir fade away. Slowly the sounds of protest re-enter my consciousness and I rejoin the masses.
Warped Sounds of Protest – Reaktor 6 (Metaphysical Function with 14 layers of automation)
Piano – Kontakt 5 (‘Giant’ piano module)
Voices – Omnisphere (Boys Choir)
If you would like to contact me about music / sound design for a project: